We are currently seeking a creative and motivated Senior Designer to join the HarperCollins Children’s Design team. In this role, the Senior Designer will design covers and interiors for Young Adult and Middle Grade novels.
- Design and manage multiple projects per season with guidance from the Art Directors.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the Design and Editorial teams on the development of the book from concept to finish.
- Read manuscripts and conceptualize covers for Young Adult and Middle Grade titles across multiple imprints.
- Find and work with artists on the creation of cover and interior art from sketches to final art.
- Prepare presentations for Editorial, Sales and Marketing at weekly meetings and present projects each week with confidence.
- Design and layout jackets and interiors to maintain production schedules. Experience with heavily illustrated interiors is a plus.
- Keep projects on a timely schedule and keep supervisor in the loop on projects.
- Color correct with production and editorial teams.
- Archive all projects on time and be aware of production status.
- Minimum 4+ years of design experience required
- Book cover design experience required
- Solid understanding of production process, color correction of proofs, timely routing of materials
- Pre-press experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, especially when presenting designs and cover concepts
- Ability to set priorities under pressure
- Strong Mac skills and design skills using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Must be able to adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- A strong interest in children’s books
- College degree or equivalent work experience in Graphic Design, Typography, and/or Illustration preferred
HarperCollins Publishers is a company full of people who are passionate about books. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.
HarperCollins Publishers is an equal opportunity employer.