The Executive Editor will oversee Mashable’s tech content, both onsite and
across distributed platforms. S/he will lead a team of more than a dozen writers and editors across the U.S., and will be a crucial player in the execution of Mashable’s overall content strategy. The Executive Editor will work closely with Mashable’s analytics and growth experts to increase audience numbers and maximize engagement. S/he will also be expected to manage the content side of certain business partnerships, including Snapchat and Telemundo.
The Executive Editor will also be expected to optimize and grow Mashable’s process for publishing tech product reviews, how-tos, and other search-friendly content. This will involve liaising with the editorial commerce team to ensure strategic alignment across sections and expedite the creation of robust content hubs.
S/he will report to Mashable’s SVP Content and Editor in Chief.
The Day to Day
The Executive Editor will lead editorial meetings, determine daily priorities,
allocate resources, and oversee the editorial process from ideation to publication. This will often involve fielding pitches, developing sharp and compelling angles for stories, line-editing, soliciting freelancers, and even writing as needed. S/he will also work closely with the art and video teams to develop rich, multimedia storytelling. The Executive Editor will often be expected to oversee the Mashable homepage, including story selection, packaging, and presentation.
Beyond steering coverage on the website, the Executive Editor is also
responsible for directing the daily production processes for Snapchat Discover, Mashable Reels, and other emerging platforms. This includes working closely with Mashable’s art team to develop and execute on specific visions for each product.
The ideal candidate is…
• A confident, goal-oriented leader who can drive and motivate teams to be
• Is comfortable leading a sizable team within a larger org
• A news junky who’s naturally curious and passionate about science and
technology, especially “soft” tech culture and political-tech stories
• Highly organized and comfortable using production and performance
dashboards to manage progress
• At ease in a dynamic, creative, and offbeat environment
• A natural problem solver who’s open to experimentation and comfortable
with a “fail fast” mentality
• Loves using data to make smart editorial decisions
• Comfortable working with SEO, Business Intelligence, and Commerce
• 7+ years of editorial experience, with no less than 3 years in a digital-first
• 3+ years as an editor or in a manager-level position
• 3+ years covering technology news, industry, and/or products