UCSF Office of University Relations is looking for a creative and experienced visual storyteller to help us communicate the impact of the University’s research, patient care and education programs.
The Editorial Video Producer (EVP), a key member of the Digital Communications team, produces videos for the UCSF flagship digital channels that bring the University’s innovation and discoveries to life. Reporting to the Managing Editor, Digital Communications, this position also develops and leads a video strategy that supports UCSF communications priorities and aligns with our broader editorial strategy for web and social media.
The ideal EVP has a passion and talent for creating compelling digital content, as well as a proven track record of translating complex and nuanced topics into succinct, clear, engaging final products. The EVP will be able to manage various stakeholders to produce high-quality multimedia that exemplifies UCSF’s brand principles.
The EVP position requires an ability to maintain the highest standards of accuracy and precision under deadline pressure, excellent judgment, ingenuity, persistence, an ability to actively participate in a highly collaborative team environment, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills. The EVP must keep abreast of emerging and state-of-the-art multimedia storytelling techniques and be able to coach colleagues on best practices.
The EVP partners with the Brand Video Producer to refine enterprise-wide video guidelines and templates that align with UCSF brand standards, working with communicators throughout the campus to promote best practices.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Developing a digital video strategy for UCSF news that takes into account our communications priorities, audience needs and behaviors, available resources and budget.
• Identifying opportunities for video storytelling; leading the conceptualization, scripting, and production of news videos for web and social media;
• Editing small- to medium- video projects;
• Managing agencies and freelancers for larger-scale video projects;
• Managing the main UCSF YouTube channel and ensuring that its content is easy to navigate and search-optimized;
• Contributing to a library of iconic UCSF b-roll footage that will be made available to news media and other campus video producers;
• Partnering with the Brand Video Producer to refine enterprise-wide video standards and best practices;
• Advising and training campus communicators on video best practices.
Please note: This is a 60%, one year contract position beginning from the date of hire.
OFFICE OF UNIVERSITY RELATIONS
UCSF’s Office of University Relations is charged with directing strategic communication and public affairs for the campus and clinical enterprise. The University Relations team is skilled at leading integrated, outcome-driven communications to strengthen awareness of UCSF’s excellence in patient care, research and education through brand marketing, media relations, digital communications and internal communications. It also leads the University’s community relations programs and its local, state and federal government relations efforts.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences, health professions and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a communications-related field, and 3-5 years relevant experience, and/or equivalent experience/education
• Minimum 3 years of professional experience in digital multimedia or video production
• Expertise with multimedia file formats, codecs and compression workflows for video and photo delivery
• High proficiency in video editing software, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, or Final Cut Pro
• Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of video production, including cameras, lenses, lighting, audio, rigs, etc.
• Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills
• Ability to work comfortably in a fast-paced environment, effectively prioritizing and managing multiple projects at once, while setting and meeting deadlines. Must demonstrate flexibility and creativity under pressure
• Videography experience, including familiarity with operating a camera
• Knowledge of the organization, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices, infrastructure, and a strong knowledge of current affairs, and issues in higher education and / or health sciences
• Knowledge of science, graduate and research universities and health care, including patient privacy rules
• Knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to the target and / or broad general audiences