Designer, Creative Services
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. The group, formerly known as Connections Education, is based in Columbia, Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
We’re looking for an innovative, motivated creative talent to join our growing Creative Services department operating as the Marketing Department’s internal agency. Working primarily from our office in Columbia, MD, this individual will be an in-house graphic designer reporting directly into our Creative Service Manager and servicing clients throughout the entire organization.
Working in conjunction with the teams’ other designers, this person will be responsible for producing creative assets including graphics for print, digital ads, social media, presentation templates, websites, video graphics, animation and more for Connections Academy schools, International Connections Academy, and Partner Program schools.
The graphic designer is someone who can tackle complex marketing challenges, create innovative design solutions, and play an integral role in ongoing projects that deliver on goals.The ideal candidate will have a background in marketing, communications design and enjoys working with cross-functional teams and possesses a good understanding of typography, layout, illustrations, and brand maintenance. The Pearson Online & Blended Learning environment is a collaborative one, so the designer must be comfortable both presenting ideas and receiving feedback. Digital experience is a must.
Pearson Online & Blended Learning is focused on providing a flexible work environment to its employees, including the ability to work from home on a regular basis in most positions. We believe that flexibility in work/life balance is a critical part of our culture and employee satisfaction, and we are proud to provide to our employees the ability to work from anywhere, anytime. In exchange, we require that employees have the appropriate means to work remotely, including adherence to our work at home policies regarding home office setup, including but not limited to privacy of records, technology standards, equipment standards and expectations.
The following equipment will be provided to you by the company as a full-time employee:
Laptop and phone
The following equipment will need to be provided by you, as the employee, when working from home:
- Work closely with the Creative Services Manager and other designers to ensure project expectations are met and exceeded
- Produce graphics for print and digital ads including websites, social media, social ad campaigns and other assigned tasks
- Work collaboratively with other designers, information architects, copywriters, editors, marketing channel managers, freelancers to fully understand needs, timelines and questions
- Ability to produce edits for projects under minimal supervision
- Execute tasks promptly to ensure deadlines are not missed
- Provide solid strategic rationale when presenting concepts to internal teams and clients
- Maintain the company’s creative aesthetics while ensuring each graphic produced meets the client’s specifications
- Conceptualize and offer creative solutions for innovating, improving and optimizing various internal projects
- Understand and enforce web, mobile and email design standards and best practices
- Assist Creative Services Manager with creating and managing assets database
- Stay in-the-know on design best practices across digital and print
- Ensure compliance with Pearson OBL brand standards and style guide
- Enforce and maintain brand standards and style guides
- Train out (as-needed) brand standards and style guides to freelancers and partner agencies
- Provide graphic design support for internal audiences when needed
- Project Management- Ability to self manage to deadlines and be communicative regarding workload and expectation-setting.
Capabilities & Behaviors:
- Team player
Effectively and positively deals with change
Works well across teams
- Decent, Accountable, Brave, Imaginative
- Writing Samples/Creative Work Portfoliomustbe submitted along with resume
- Bachelor’s degree in design, fine arts or a related equivalent field required
- 3-5 years of graphic design experience
- Experience in the education industry (preferred) or other highly-regulated field
- Skilled in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) and Microsoft applications
- Strong knowledge of typography, layout design and color theory
- Critical thinking and ability to prioritize, organize, manage information, and complete projects.
- Juggle numerous projects and meet aggressive schedules
- Self-motivated problem-solver
- Must be able to turn out graphics from concept to completion
- Online portfolio of work to share with team
- Organized with excellent time-management skills and strong attention to detail
- Must be thoroughly passionate and immersed in the world of design
- Experience working with email, social, direct mail, on-site, display and other channels.
- Digital experience is a must
- Animation skills a plus
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.